As much as we have loved being involved in the program there have been many challenges that we have faced along the way. These challenges have made it interseting and have kept us on our toes trying to meet our deadlines.

My first challenge as Program Coordinator was deciding on how I would present our topic "Wool" to the whole schole K - 6. This is when I came up with the idea of a "Winter Woollies Day". My aim for this day was for the whole school to be involved in activities related to wool. From feeding baby lambs to a lunch meal deal lamb Souvlaki. I used this as my starting point , introducing the Archibull Prize to the staff, students and the wider community.

As a Team our first challenge was deciding on how we would present Archie. This was an ongoing process and has continued up until our final stages .

1.    Brainstorm Ideas - In small groups / whole class
2.    Discussion of Ideas -  Talked about what we thought would or wouldn't       

3.    Voted on Ideas

Many suggestions were given but after voting was counted we decided that our focus would be on WOOL from the raw product to the fabric we use in clothing and its different forms.

But how were we going to get our message across......

We decided that we would look at the many different ways that we use wool. The raw product, spun wool, felting, knitting, crocheting, finger knitting, french knitting, applique and the many forms that we find wool in different fabrics. So we all put our thinking hats on and discussed our ideas :

        1. Cover our cow with patchwork wool squares incorporating all of the
            processes that we had been learning about.
        2. Decoupage the cows head with words and facts about wool
        3. The cows legs are very individual, each one sending a different message
                 * One leg has the question that we were trying to answer
 " What does it  take to Sustainably clothe our community for one day ?"
* A second leg has a leg warmer representing winter woolly clothes
                  * A third leg  has product sample information cards with samples of 
                     woollen fabrics.
                  * The final leg is wrapped in colourful dyed yarn
        4. A wire heading to display our theme "Wrapped in Yarn"  which has been
            done in running writing to look like a strand of wool.
        5. Our cow is grazing on a grass platform. As without the grass our sheep 
            wouldn't be able to grow and produce wool.

Once we'd decided on how we would be decorating our Archie the process of putting it all together was to be also a very challenging process.We started we the squares. Some people were knitting tiny squares, crocheting, french knitting, appliquing and felting. This process was a very slow as we had to demonstrate, attempt and at times redo. But it was rewarding for both the students and myself. As for the children seeing a completed piece of work  that they had made  and me seeing how much fun they were having. This particular stage was very time consuming and stressful trying to get it all to fit together.

Another Challenge that we have had  throughout the whole journey has been the naming of our "Archie". We've had newsletter competitions and discussions in class, but still we couldn't find just the right name to give our "Archie". We wanted something unique, but also conveyed our message. This was something that was still unsolved till the final days of Archie. 

Organising our whole school event "Winter Woolies Day" . This was something that required precision organisation.We had to organise  ten activity  stations,  activities for each group, meal deals, community visitors and animals for display.
This was definitely very challenging and there were small hurdles along the way. Did we have enough food? How were we going to make enough popcorn or fairy floss? But all hurdles were overcome and the day was a huge success.

Technology was something that we wanted to add to our Archie many ideas were discussed. One was to have an iPad/ iPod with Archie showing powerpoint, photos, facts etc. This idea was thrown around for a while but in the end a unanimous decision was made that it was probably too expensive and something that needed to be recharged regularly.

Completing the Blog was probably the most stressful  of all. This was something that I hadn't done before. So at first it was quite daunting and one that I avoided for awhile. I started by using students who knew more about blogs than what I did. We discussed what blogs we could use and chose the one that best suited our needs. Once I was given a demonstration on how to use a blog, my confidence grew and we worked to together to complete all our tasks. I must say it was very challenging, time consuming but I'm grateful as I've learn't and my students have also learn't  a  new skill that we can now use for other projects.

We would have to say that the biggest challenge that has been faced along our journey has been managing our time to get  everything completed - the blog, Archie  and the  organised activities that we completed along the way. 

Our final challenge was How we would transport Baa Baa Bovine to the final judging. He was now a lot bigger then when he first arrived. We considered taking him by train or putting him in the back of a ute. 

Thank You, for giving our school this opportunity as it has been challenging but very rewarding learning lots along the way .
                            At Gwynneville we are always up for a challenge!

Leave a Reply.




    November 2013
    October 2013
    September 2013
    August 2013
    July 2013
    June 2013



    Flyff Chinese Sheep